One of the last remaining pure 'Buckley' speakers was noted linguist Dennis Griffiths, a Buckley resident, who died in 1972, and whose books are the main repository and record of the dialect.
A few examples (mainly phonetic) are noted below: The last 'pure' speaker of the Buckley dialect was Joseph Charles Shone, a foundryman born in 1917, who died in 1987.
Buckley was a popular location for mining, as there were many faults in local rock formations that allowed seams of coal to be mined directly from the surface.
Its heavy, clay soil also allowed for excellent pottery and bricks to be manufactured.
However, the first documented evidence of its existence dates from 1294 when it was described as the pasturage of the Manor of Ewloe, spelled as "Bokkeley".
The likely meaning of the name was "clearing in a beech wood" (with boc meaning beech tree and ley meaning wood, glade or clearing).
) is a town and community in Flintshire, north-east Wales, 2 miles (3.2 km) from the county town of Mold and contiguous with the villages of Ewloe, Alltami and Mynydd Isa.
Buckley is situated in north east Wales approximately 6 miles from the border with England to the East.
It has a large playground for children, as well as a duck pond.
A funfair visits during the Buckley Jubilee in the summer, usually on the second Tuesday of July, which is the town jubilee.
Bricks from Buckley were transported all across the United Kingdom and as far as the United States, as Buckley became a brickworking centre.
A great deal of people moved into the area, particularly from Ireland and Liverpool to find work in the mining and brick industries, giving the town a distinctive accent.In 1932, a tradition started in Buckley of running an annual pantomime.